What do I value? From what do I derive my value?
St. Paul’s perspective concerning all his efforts, success, and prestige is worthless when compared to having a relationship, knowing, the King of Kings. It is more than know about Christ. He wanted to know Christ in the power of His resurrection. The power to bring death to life. Paul also acknowledges that this knowledge will be accompanied with suffering.
- Moses in Ex. 24 had a transfiguring experience with God.
- Some of the Disciples of Jesus had a transfiguring experiences with God on a mountain.
- St. Paul was transformed when he encounter Jesus on the road to Damascus
- Consider who Paul (Saul) was before he encounter Christ.
- Did Paul have cause to boast, put confidence, in his identity and heritage?
- Paul punched all the right tickets… However, compared to knowing Christ it is all worthless.
- What does it mean to know Christ?
- What is the difference between know about someone and having a relationship?
- Consider how we can misunderstand someone when we just know a little about them as opposed to knowing someone personally.
- Just knowing about Jesus is not enough to bring a transformation of our heart and lives.
- Experiencing the Power of His Resurrection.
- “I press on.”
- I have not fully obtained, but what I do is lay it all aside. I lay aside all that the world would consider “gain”. I lay aside all that is behind me. And I press on to know Jesus.
- What is weighing us down?
- Do we seek to know about Jesus?
- Do we seek to know Jesus in our experiences?